In this article, we are going to learn all about How to drop MySQL databases using the MySQL
DROP DATABASE statement. In the previous tutorial, we have seen all about, how to create a MySQL database.
MySQL DROP Database Statement
MySQL provides a
DROP DATABASE statement to delete the data database from the MySQL server. DROP DATABASE drops all the databases from the MySQL server Therefore, you need to be very careful when you are going to work with the MySQL
DROP DATABASE statement.
The syntax of MySQL DROP DATABASE statement is:-
DROP DATABASE [IF EXIST] database_name;
If you try to delete a database that does not exist, MySQL cause an error. To prevent an error from occurring if you deleting the non-existing database, you have to use the
IF EXIST statement before the database name.
DROP DATABASE statement returns the number of tables deleted.
You can use
DROP SCHEMA instead of
DROP DATABASE because SCHEMA is the synonym of DATABASE.
You can see the following syntax.
DROP SCHEMA [IF EXIST] database_name;
There are two ways to drop databases from the MySQL server.
- Using MySQL Client tool.
- Using Workbench
MySQL DROP DATABASE using mysql client tool
Here we will see step by step guide to dropping the database from the MySQL server using the MySQL client tool.
Let’s get started:
- Open your MySQL client tool and loging from following command.
sudo mysql -u root -p
After issuing the above command, MySQL will give a prompt to enter the root password.
if you are using a windows machine, Then you can directly open the MySQL client tool and enter a password.
- Now, display all the existing databases from the MySQL server using
mysql> SHOW DATABASES;
MySQL will give you output like below.
+--------------------+ | Database | +--------------------+ | college | | demodb | | information_schema | | mydb | | mysql | | mysqldjango | | performance_schema | | sakila | | sys | | testdb | | testing | | world | +--------------------+ 12 rows in set (0.00 sec)
- Suppose we want to drop database named
testing.To drop the database, we need to issue follosing command.
mysql> DROP DATABASE testing;
After issuing the above command, if you get the following message. That means Database testing has been deleted successfully.
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.19 sec)
DROP DATABASE using MySQL Workbench
- First, launch the MySQL workbench and login into MySQL server.
- Second, right click on database that you want to remove, Suppose we want to remove database testing.Right click on testing database and click on drop schema option.
- Third, MySQL workbench display a dialog box to confirm the deletion.
If you choose
Review SQL, you will see the SQL query that will be executed, and if you choose
Drop Now, it will delete the database immediately.
Here we will choose
Review SQL to be safe.
- Once you are sure that SQL statement is going to drop the right database, You can click the Execute button to execute the statement.
- MySQL return the following output that indicate the database dropped successfully.
So, in this article, we have seen all about how to DROP MySQL DATABASE using two ways.
You can choose any one of them to drop the database. I strongly recommend you, be careful before drop the MySQL database.
If you like this article, please keep visiting for further MySQL tutorials.
Reference:- Click Here